Gnocchi with bacon, spinach & vodka sauce (mushroom, spinach & vodka for vegetarians)
I had a version of this in Zagreb and did my best to recreate it at home. It is not as good as the restaurant version but it is still really good and super easy. This should serve 4 adults.
If you want to make a vegetarian version, substitute mushrooms for the bacon. Follow the same method.
A bag of baby spinach
6 rashers of bacon, chopped
100ml of vodka
200ml of double cream or creme fraiche
Grated nutmeg (optional)
- Cook your gnocchi in a big pot and set aside.
- Fry off the bacon in a pan until crispy then remove from the pan and drain on some kitchen paper. Leave the bacon fat in the pan.
- Put the cream/creme fraiche and vodka in the pan and heat until the alcohol in the vodka has cooked off. Do not let it boil so it does not split. Add freshly cracked black pepper and, if you like it, a small bit of freshly grated nutmeg.
- Add the spinach, bacon and gnocchi. Stir until the spinach has wilted and the gnocchi is heated through.
- Serve with grated parmesan over the top. Some garlic bread is a nice addition.